I’ve come to realize through the years how much my wellness depends on being open to God’s word through scripture. I came to this conclusion once I started to work on building a relationship with the Lord and began changing my mindset about reading the Bible. In total honesty, I used to read it from the viewpoint of a list of dos and don’ts therefore I hated most of what I read. I’m admitting out loud that I loathed it because I often felt I could never measure up to all the requirements. Let me explain! I believe many of us have this experience…the Bible is where you go to find out what you’re doing wrong and how to avoid doing it.
Well maybe that is not your story but for me, that’s exactly how I was going about my Bible experience. I was reading scripture, browsing through the pages here and there for what I was doing wrong. A difference didn’t occur until I became open to scripture wrapping around my heart and coming alive in my soul which lead to the renewing of my mind beyond just the revelation of salvation through Jesus Christ. That’s what power lies in the Word. Let’s review some scriptures about the Word of God.
2 Timothy 3:16-17
16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17 so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
12 For the word of God is living and active and sharper than any two-edged sword, and piercing as far as the division of soul and spirit, of both joints and marrow, and able to judge the thoughts and intentions of the heart
105 Your word is a lamp to my feet And a light to my path.
What did I gain that I can share with you?
1. God’s Word is breathed out by God- Imagine the breath of God, His essence is in the pages.
2. God’s Word is living-It’s not just a history book it’s a living manifestation of God’s glory.
3. God’s Word is action- The word looks to achieve God’s glory in us
4. God’s Word divides soul and spirit- A division of intellect/emotions versus the nature of God.
5. God’s Word discerns our thoughts and intentions-This means He’s interested in knowing our thoughts and the emotions that drive the decisions we make. He cares!
6. God’s Word illuminates our path- We don’t have to wander around in darkness but allow God’s wisdom and knowledge to guide us.
7. God’s Word teaches, reproofs, corrects, and trains us in righteousness- This righteousness has to do with Christ our sin-bearer. It is His righteousness that we must be trained in that goes directly to the heart.
8. God’s word makes us competent and equipped for every good work. – This is so wonderful! He doesn’t send us out to do His purposes without equipping us for the good works He has planned. Notice it says good works, not just any old works but good works, that’s key.
I hope these points drive home for you as much as it does for me that we must be open to God’s Word to experience everything for our well-being. More than just do’s and don’ts it is the source of life through Jesus Christ that can and will sustain us daily. I don’t know about you but time to grab my Bible and be open.